Sunday, August 28, 2011

Getting rid of stuff


Thinking about moving (and dying) has prompted me to get rid of stuff, again.

I ended up with so much of my mother's things. A product of the depression,
she very rarely got rid of things. She loved to sew, and I am pretty sure
she never got rid of a sewing pattern. I have 5 boxes full.

Luckily a friend of a friend sews, and she is about the same size as most of
the patterns my mom had. I realized when I sorted through the patterns that
mom would always buy the pattern in her size, even if it was for me, and then
she would just alter it accordingly. There was one pattern in particular,
a dress she made for me when I was about 17. I was probably a size 8 or 10,
and the pattern is a size 18. That's when I figured out her system.
She was always so frugal.

Anyway, my friends are to come today and we will have fun looking
through all these patterns, many older than we. It will be nice
to find a home for them. Someone will get some good
out of these patterns, rather than them collecting dust and taking
up space.

Must do more of this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home