Saturday, August 20, 2011

Visiting Relatives


My father's last remaining sibling, his sister who is 85, could not attend
the memorial service. Her children would have driven them (my uncle is
doing well), but my Aunt had fallen just 3 days before.
She isn't walking well and was concerned she would fall.

As my oldest brother was in town and didn't have to rush home,
I decided we should go visit our Aunt and Uncle on Friday.
We called them about 11:00, and got there shortly after 12:00.
My brother and uncle went out to pick up some lunch for all
of us, and my brother and I stayed until around 2:00.

We had a very nice visit, of course catching up on the health
issues, but also their children, their farm, and their current
life. They moved into town only a couple of years ago, having
lived on farms their entire lives.

My uncle was at Omaha Beach, D-Day plus 1. He lost part of a finger
when it got jammed between two the landing crafts.

I remember after I made a trip to Germany, was discussing it
with him during a family reunion, and he said "I always
wanted to go back to Czechoslovakia, (where he was at the
end of WWII), as I thought it was the most beautiful country".

When I recounted this to one of his daughters she replied
"I didn't know my dad was in Czechoslovakia".

As is with many veterans, they never discussed their war
experience. I understand my uncle has now written down
some of his memories, doing so in a class they offer at
the retirement center where they live.

When we left, my uncle followed us out to the porch, and
with tears in his eyes said "Thank you so much for coming,
you have no idea how much this meant to us".

Too many times we rush through life, not taking the time
to visit people, or keep in touch. I keep trying to do
better, especially thinking of those who are now older,
and are the last of their generation. It starts to get
lonely, and some day I will be in their shoes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home