Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Getting Things in Order


The Memorial Service for M is almost prepared. I have written most of the eulogy,
which my brother will read. There is no way I can stand up and do it.

I think it will be a very nice service. Not too long. I'm shooting for 1/2 hour, and this is what I told the minister, so I hope he won't have a long sermon.

I remember I took my Mom to a funeral one time (the last 10 years of her life that was what she did for fun LOL).
The funeral was 1 1/2 hours long. I know the family was in great pain, but, they
were putting all of us in pain.

This afternoon I closed on a house I bought. Yes, I am just a little bit crazy.
I went to an auction about 1 1/2 blocks from here, and there were no real bidders,
so I got the house for a really good price. As I will now own my brother's house,
I might as well get into the landlord business. Closing was easy. I will
have my brother R, who will be here through the weekend, start cleaning it up, pulling down some vines growing on a tree, etc.

As for G. He had not been feeling well. I called the primary Dr. at the VA, we did a blood sample today, and his hemoglobin level came back over 8, so that is good.
They give him epogen (I think that's how it's spelled) during dialysis, which improves his red blood count, but it takes weeks. They said their target on
the hemoglobin level is 11, so he has a ways to go.

Tomorrow he has a couple of appointments at the VA, and I need to remember to
get the form filled out for medical records to be sent to the surgeon he will
see on Sept. 1.

He will also have a sleep study done on Saturday night. He says he can't really sleep when he is on his back (well, I think he can't breathe when he is on his back), so hope to figure out what's going on.

I am doing much better. I picked up M's ashes today from the mortuary, and paid the bill. I will get monies from my sister whenever she can get the savings bond cashed. I won't get the death certificate for several weeks, and she needs it to cash the bond.

Oh, I also stopped by the health clinic which we have designated for the memorial contributions. This is where M went for his health needs, as well as eating lunch. Had a nice chat with the director, picked up some envelopes
for donations, as well as brochures. They are doing great work, and have plans to
open another location in an under served part of town. They also have plans to
open something to do with cancer hospice...I didn't really understand what she
was saying, but will follow-up later. I think this is really a worthy charity.

I will have some flowers at the service. One of my Mom's friends kind of guilted me into it...but I have decided I will buy a couple dozen roses and then give them
to the 2 ladies who were especially nice to M when he was really down and out.

Nicer to M than his family was, me included, I am so sorry to say.

At least I had a chance to be kind to him later in his life.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home