Monday, April 11, 2011

Dinner is Late

G got back from surgery around 2:30. After he came back, the nurses were asking him "what time did you leave this morning". There was much debate amongst the staff, then they thought to look at the "transport ticket" to obtain the time. It said 7:30. But I know that was not really the time he left.

He called me when he was suppose to leave, I was already headed out the door so I drove to the VA (about 5 minutes away), went to surgery, and he wasn't there.

It turns out the nursing unit did not give G his high blood pressure meds, which he must have in the morning (there were problems in the past with his blood pressure too high during surgery).

G told the staff he needed this pill (he was NPO because of the surgery), they didn't believe him, so called surgery to confirm, and yes, he did need that pill.

So I don't really know what time he left, but I beat him to the surgery unit, went back looking for him, and must have missed him in the elevator.

Anyway, the staff apparently did not report him back in when he returned from surgery, so there was no supper tray for him. When I got over there around 6:30 (dinner is at 5:15), G was sitting in front of the nurses station and they were trying to find his dinner. He said he would go pick it up, but of course, that could not be allowed.

So finally at 6:45 when he still did not have dinner, and I had carried some things to the car, I asked what he wanted me to get for him.

When the nurse heard this she said "so you don't want your dinner", to which I replied, "well, it's not here!".

So I went to McDonalds as requested by G, and when I returned he was eating dinner, but was still happy to have the food I brought as they only gave him about 1/2 of his usual dinner (due to his dietary restrictions, he gets lots of substitutes from the norm).

We will be so glad to get him out of there.

Tomorrow's the big day! If the "to do" list isn't done by the time he goes out for dialysis (around 11:00) I guess I will be playing patient advocate again.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home