Thursday, April 7, 2011

Another TIA

This morning before breakfast "G" had dry heaves, cold sweat, slurred speech.

This also happened a few days ago. I tried to convince him then that he probably had another small stroke, but he wouldn't hear of it.

But today, although he did not use the word "stroke", he called it an "episode" (which is accurate), and told me afterwards he had trouble walking, did not do well in p/t, had to have help walking back down the steps.

Then he said to me "you were right about needing the wheelchair ramp".

I have been telling him he can't come home until I have a wheelchair ramp. I know from experience, because the first night I had my Mom home from the nursing home she collapsed on the floor, and was in a wheelchair after that.

At least our whining in the care plan meeting regarding the need to be shown how to get up if "G" falls accomplished something. Today in p/t they worked on getting up from the floor to bed and floor to wheelchair.

So our "to do" list before "G" comes home is get appointments at the coumidin clinic (which will probably be 2 times a week), get a follow-up with primary care to get all the new prescriptions. He will be released with 30 days supply by the Dr. at the nursing unit, but then the primary care is responsible for writing the permanent prescriptions.

And, transport arranged for dialysis, and appointments. "G" getting transport will be one less thing he is dependent on me for. He needs to maintain some control over his life. I certainly understand that, and quite frankly, I want him to.

I just hope he can adjust to the idea that he/we will have to hire people to do things.
I can't do everything, and neither can he.

It's difficult to accept one's limitations. I remember my Mom telling my Father, when he was almost 80 and complaining about what he couldn't do "well honey, you're not 50 anymore!" LOL

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home