Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The back story

I realized I had not started blogging when everything started, so here is some of the backstory.

"G" had a stroke when they placed a stent in his arm to clear blockages. This was after the surgery to do a "transposition" of the veins where they were trying to get a fistula going. He has been using a catheter for dialysis for the last 1 1/2 years, which is not good, as it's prone to infection(which has occured 4 times or more), plus, the dialysis is not as good when through a catheter.

When they did the stent, he had a stroke. Through the entire procedure, he was nauseous, and as I know from my Mother, this is how a stroke displays. But, the medical staff only thinks about a stroke in terms of the after affect, which did not display for a day or so, because he was still having the stroke.

In some way I kick myself for not being more pro-active, because I saw him after the procedure, he could not tolerate light. But, I also didn't know what could be done, and if they tried to do something.....well, sometimes that just makes it worse.

So they just shipped him off to ICU, and they treated him for the nauseous.

This was on Friday. On Sunday he called me and said he needed help feeding himself.

When I got there, they were moving him to the floor because the ICU was in temporary quarters (due to a water line break), and all patients had to go somewhere.

So he was sent to the general hospital. But once there, he had trouble swallowing his dinner, I called for the nurse, who called a Dr., who examined him, and said he had a TIA (LOL).

This got him sent to the telemetry unit of ICU, where they monitored him closely for the next 24 hours.

to be continued...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home