Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Trying to get a wheelchair ramp

About 2 weeks ago when we spoke with the Geriatric Dr. who handles the nursing home, I told him my intention was to take my b/f home after he got sufficient rehab.

He said to me "if you take him home, you will eventually need a wheelchair ramp, because of his condition, which will only get worse".

I had already done some work researching getting a ramp, and was told the VA would pay for a ramp, even if the home is not owned by the Vet.

So, then Dr. sent an e-mail to the Social Worker at the nursing home to get me a wheelchair ramp. She didn't really know what to do, but forwarded it to prosthetics, whom I had been told orders the wheelchair ramps.

I went to see the manager at prosthetics, who told me there are 2 ways to get a ramp. One is the Dr. orders it, and the VA arranges for it to be installed. These ramps must be metal. As I do not have 32 feet in front of my house (the length needed due to the height of my porch), I didn't think I could have a metal ramp. But, I was informed they can do landings and turns with the metal.

I could have a wooden ramp built by applying for grant money under a program to retrofit a house to make it handicap accessible. However, the "ramp guy" told me I should save that money to use to modify my bathroom if needed, etc.

So, the "ramp guy" found the message from the social worker asking for a ramp, but he said he needed an evaluation from PT. So I thought he was going to send it to them, but honestly now I don't remember.

Anyway I think I went back and asked the social worker to resend it to PT. But I guess she didn't really know how to do it, because a week later there was not PT request for a ramp.

Oh, and another thing, the staff at PT was under the impression a ramp could not be ordered if the house was not owned by the VET.

I am so tired of getting the run around, and fighting with everyone, just to get them to do their jobs.

But, I went back to prosthetics, and found out the primary care Dr. is the one who needs to put in the order for a ramp. So yesterday the person I spoke to on the phone said she would put in the order for the ramp.

We shall see.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Monkey D. Luffy said...

It's a good thing to know that she would put in the order for the ramp.

September 22, 2011 at 2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home