Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Patient Advocate Role is to keep you from suing

Patient Advocate's became popular in hospitals 15 years ago or so.

I first encountered one when my Father was in the hospital with pneumonia. They put in a central line, and afterwards, there was lots of blood all over the room. The next day he needed a blood transfusion, and the day after, the Patient Advocate showed up, and wanted to know how things were going.

Humm, I thought, funny I never saw her before this. They must have screwed up.

And, so it goes.

Today, I made the mistake of trying to use the Patient Advocate. First, she informed me that the Durable Power of Attorney was not sufficient for her to release information regarding my b/f. She said he wasn't incapacitated (despite the fact he had a stroke), unless the Dr. certified he was.

However, I had the foresight to write down my current concern, which is trying to get him physical therapy. They aren't scheduling the therapy because he is "inpatient". So, I have asked if they could please schedule therapy for Tuesdays and Thursdays when he does not have dialysis. Perhaps after dialyis on m/w/f he could do speech therapy, but p/t would probably be too much.

She said she would scan my note and send out to the department heads, I guess.

I could tell she doesn't like her job, because of course she has to pass on patient's complaints, and probably everyone hates to see her coming.

She also isn't very good at her job. "Super Nurse" told me she called her and left 2 messages to call me, which the advocate claimed she never received.

Well, at least I can say I have tried.

I hope to eventually get to speak with the management of the hospital. I so much want to get things changed.


Not just for my boyfriend, but for all the other current and future patients.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home