Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The back story, part 2

So finally on Monday they diagnosed an eskemic stroke.

"g" could not walk, could not even stand, had double vision, and motor control problems with his right arm.

They kept him in the hospital until Friday, when he got transferred to the nursing unit, where he would get rehab, etc.

But, there is non Dr. on duty on the weekend. And, the regular Dr. was on vacation, so someone was filling in.

On Sunday evening, I started complaining that his head was swollen, and his arm hurt.

Eventhough the Dr. never saw him, she put in notes that "the head swelling is due to the stroke". (which it was not)

We kept complaining, the nurses offered "G" pain pills for the arm which hurt (which was actually infected). Finally, by Wed., when the Dr. still had not seen him, but was suppose to come that nigh, but then, we were told she would not come, I threw a complete "hissy fit". (I stood in front of the nurses desk and just kept repeating "this is not acceptable".... and went wandering around for someone with a brain to talk to.

I was told where the office was for the Director, door closed, so I asked if I could leave a note. The secretary for the hospice unit was very nice, gave me a piece of paper, I wrote out all of my concerns. She read it and said "these are very valid concerns", tried to call the director, but no answer (the director was in "quality meetings".

Finally I got back to the nurse, who by then was on the phone with the Dr. saying "the girlfriend is very upset" (I had said I would take him to the ER myself if they did not do something).

So by then the Dr. had put in the order for the CT with contrast (which she did on Monday, but did not enter it as STAT, and they are booked out 2 1/2 weeks).
So "G" had the CT scan..they had to call in people on overtime, and then went to the ER.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home