Monday, October 12, 2009

"The Talk" from the hospice nurse

Again today the hospice nurse gave me "the talk" about how Mom is probably in the process of dying.

She has lost a lot of weight (which is nothing new - I don't think she weighs that much less than she did 3 weeks ago). Her breathing is more shallow.

But, her oxygen level is at 97%. I was afraid she was getting pneumonia, but apparently not so. Not yet anyway.

The nurse and I reviewed our wishes. Well, luckily these are Mom's wishes. She made it known to us over a year ago.

No antibiotics should she get pneumonia or an infection. We have drugs to make her comfortable if needed, and they can bring out oxygen very quickly if we feel the need.

After our talk, I asked my Mom what she wanted for lunch. Home made turkey noodle soup, chili, hamburger?

Hamburger.

Mom's not checking out anytime soon.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home