Saturday, October 3, 2009

Mom is coughing again

Mom starting coughing yesterday evening.

I gave her ice chips, but that didn't seem to really help. Maybe it felt good, but it didn't stop the coughing. I am quite certain this coughing is caused by drainage from allergies. Mom has always had a problem with allergies.

Finally, after an hour or so, the cough not yet going away, I put a few drops of Atropine in her mouth. This is to dry up secretions.

I also turned her on her side, and put both Vick's Vapor rub and muscle cream on her back. Thinking, if nothing else, maybe the fumes will clear up her sinuses.

I pulled her up straighter, and told her to take a deep breath. She did this a couple of times, and was able to get out a good cough.

Then I mixed up some honey and lemon juice, and gave it to her by drops. I took a straw and dipped it in the mixture, put my finger over the end of the straw to hold the liquid in the straw, and then put it in her mouth. Guess I should try and buy and eye dropper.

My brother came last night. I asked him to check on her every so often. I called him around midnight, he said she had coughed, but not as much.

This morning she seems OK.

I just hate it when this happens. I always think "is this the end?"

I crushed up an allergy pill to give to her this morning. Perhaps that will help throughout the day.

The cough syrup doesn't seem to really do the trick.

I guess once we have the first hard freeze, this will be over. No wonder Mom has always liked winter.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home