Friday, October 2, 2009

Friends, New and Old

I am very lucky to have many good friends. Since I have been single for many years, and without children, my friends have sustained me.

One of the good things to come out of my Mother's illness is meeting new people. In the last 2 1/2 years there have been lots of various health care types in and out of the house. With some you make a special connection.

Our current home health aide is one of them. I think she enjoys visiting us, as much as we enjoy her visits.

On her last visit, 3 days ago, she was bemoaning the state of her love life. I gave her some unsolicited advice.

"Honey, you need to learn to be happy on your own. Don't go thinking that if only your boyfriend would commit, then you would be happy. You need to make a life plan. Figure out your short term goals, your longer term goals, and make a plan to achieve them."

Much to my surprise she arrived today all full of news. She has decided she wants to become an RN. She has already found a program in the area, which will allow a lot of the course work to be done on-line. She is absolutely psyched, and says that once she decides to do something, she sticks with it.

I swear, I had tears in my eyes as she was telling me this.

She is a 25 year old single mother of 4. I so want her to have a good life.

I am quite certain we will stay in touch over the years.

Even after Mom is gone.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Dutiful Daughter said...

What a great story! You, indeed gave her some excellent advice. With regard to great caregivers, we had an excellent aide with Mom and she was later assigned to Dad. She made him much more comfortable with the situation and is an extremely caring person.

October 2, 2009 at 6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home