Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Mom rallied today

I don't know if it's the "rally" before the end, or because my Mom slept for about 18 hours straight.

I got up this morning about 7:00 (very early for us), so see if my Mom was still alive, or having trouble breathing. She was sleeping very soundly, but woke up when I made noise.

She asked, in a complete sentence, "What time is it?". So, I got her changed, and she was very restless. Wanting to "get up", which she hasn't tried to do since last Feb. I pacified her by telling her I had to change her, and then I had to get breakfast ready. Then I sat her up in bed (sideways, with pillows all around her). She then said she needed to pea. I told her she had a diaper on, and would just have to pea in it.

She had some trouble chewing and swallowing her normal sausage and bacon(which had not been a problem 2 days ago), so finally I made her scrambled eggs with cheese.

Then she said again she wanted to "get up", so I took her feet off the chair (which I use to put her in a recliner position), and put her feet on the floor, and put more pillows behind her to prop her up straighter. This seemed to satisfy the need to "get up". Then I fixed her hair, washed her face, and put on some make up. By then she was tired enough she wanted to lay down.

The chaplain came about 4 hours later. She had been sleeping up until then, but woke up, and said "I heard you were coming". He spent about an hour with her, and I had dug out some of her travel journals from one of her "Work and Witness" church trips. He read her journal to her, and she seemed to really enjoy it.

Then later in the day I asked if she wanted lunch, which she did, and she ate chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, and a half and ear of corn on the cob. Then she went back to sleep for a few hours, and later ate 2 small bowls of ice cream.

They say that people often rally before the end. This could very well be what she is doing, or maybe not.

We shall have to wait and see.

Another day in paradise.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home