Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Mom is coughing

My Mom was very alert this evening. I called on of her friends around 7:00, my Mom "listened" to her on the phone, and said a couple of word.

Then, around 9:00, my Mom starting coughing. A wet cough, but nothing came up. After half hour I thought I should call the hospice agency. The nurse on call suggested I give my Mom cough syrup, which I did. She said to call her in 20 minutes if it didn't get better.

Well, it did not get better, so I phoned again. She asked if I had a kit in the house (which I do) and suggested I give her Atropine. After looking this up on Google, I resisted. It dries up secretions, but it suggested to only give this when someone is in the end stage of dying, which I really didn't think my Mom is at.

But, after a couple of hours, and she is still coughing, I decided to give some to her. I really didn't want to do it, but didn't have much other options.

Finally, 3 hours later she seems to be sleeping.

I will have to get up every few hours to check on her.

If she really is dying, it will be hard to believe. But, sometimes it just goes this way.

It's not always like it is in the movies.

At least I have had the chance to tell her I love her, and even though she didn't respond, I told her that I know she loves me.

Probably tomorrow I will tell you she is perky and eating well.

But, maybe not.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home