Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Mom had an "episode"

Last Thursday my Mother had what I can only describe as one of her "episodes".

I want to call them "mini-strokes", or TIA's, but this is the definition of a TIA

Transient ischemic attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke): A neurological event with the signs and symptoms of a stroke, but which go away within a short period of time. Also called a mini-stroke, a TIA is due to a temporary lack of adequate blood and oxygen (ischemia) to the brain. This is often caused by the narrowing (or, less often, ulceration) of the carotid arteries (the major arteries in the neck that supply blood to the brain).

TIAs typically last 2 to 30 minutes and can produce problems with vision, dizziness, weakness or trouble speaking.


Which is not really what happens with my Mom. Generally over a couple of days she will experience diarrhea and nausea. Sometimes she passes out.

Last Thursday she threw up, twice. And, her eyes got that funny, unfocused look. But then on Saturday, she was quite alert, so I made a couple of phone calls so she could talk (or more accurately, listen) to people.

Sunday evening she didn't look very well, again.

The nurse came on Monday. I told her what had happened. She agreed my Mother was not herself, and told me "we might be near the end".

I then had to tell the nurse there have been countless times I thought my Mother was going to "check out", but she always comes back.

She is not yet ready to go, and enjoys eating too much to quit now.

Someday she will, but not now.

However, I did learn that I have morphine in the special "kit" in the fridge.

Humm.... tempting.

Just kidding.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan Higgins said...

My mom behaved in a similar way when she ate gluten. We cut out the gluten and she stopped having her dementia episodes. Your mom is fortunate to have you caring for her. I love your blog posts. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

September 15, 2009 at 2:00 PM  
Blogger Confessions of a Caregiver said...

Sue

Thanks for your comment. I'll check into the gluten issue, but this happens only every few months.

September 16, 2009 at 9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home