Monday, October 26, 2009

Mom can't breathe

This morning Mom was fine. She sat up, ate breakfast, smiled at the hospice nurse around 11:00 AM.

My brother was here. I went to work on my house. I was at the hardware store when I got a phone call from him. It was 3:00. He said "Mom is gurgling".

I went straight from the hardware store to my Mom's. She was gasping for air. She needed to cough, but just couldn't get up the strength.

I phoned the hospice nurse to come. She asked if I wanted oxygen, I said yes.

Then I gave Mom some morphine an atrophine.

The nurse came. Mom was still gasping for air. The oxygen arrived, the nurse set it up. It helped. The nurse also gave Mom an ativan.

Apparently there is no air movement in the left lung (which is the side which was affected by the stroke), so that means only the top part of the right lung is working. Good news, it is clear.

The nurse says this is the beginning of Mom's body shutting down.

But, Mom has surprised us before.

However, for Mom's sake, I hope she is right.

This is no way to live.

I phoned my sister, and told her to come in tonight as someone needs to stay up with Mom.

When I had phoned her earlier to tell her the problem, she said "Do I need to come in?" I said "It's up you". Then she started to tell me what she was doing and why she couldn't come in, and I cut her off and told her I had to go as the oxygen was being delivered.

I think when she comes I will leave. If I am here all she will do is talk and talk, telling me all about her problems. LOL

I'll keep ya'll posted.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home