Monday, October 19, 2009

I gave Mom morphine

Tonight my Mom had her terrible cough again, despite giving her benedryl.

So finally, I decided to give her some morphine. Not much. I have no idea how it will affect her.

I also gave her some atrophine, which is suppose to dry up the secretions.
I was careful to only give her a little, as the last time, she had hallucinations for 2 days.

I don't know what else to do. All I can do is make her comfortable. She still seems somewhat "with it". I just hate for her to be miserable, and that is why we have these drugs.

Hopefully, in the next couple of weeks we will have a hard freeze. I think most of her problem is allergies, and a hard freeze will take care of that.

If that's not the culprit, then she is dying.

Well, she is dying. The question is, how soon?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Dutiful Daughter said...

It sounds as though you are conscientiously doing everything you can to make your mom comfortable. You are not making any decision lightly. You are also making use of the resources provided by Hospice specifically for that purpose. Therefore, you don’t need to second-guess yourself or feel at all hesitant about your decisions. You are coping admirably in an extremely difficult situation. Hang in there!

October 20, 2009 at 7:48 AM  
Blogger Confessions of a Caregiver said...

Thanks for the kind words.

October 20, 2009 at 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home