Sunday, October 25, 2009

Noticing the little things

My Mom ate well this evening. Macaroni and Cheese, strawberries and ice cream.

Then she started to hick-up.

So I quit feeding her.

It seems that when she starts to hick-up, if I tried to feed her more, she will throw up.

This could be caused by her affliction of neurocariodogenic syncope.

Syncope (fainting) is one of the most common medical ailments encountered in clinical practice. Although frequently thought of as a condition with a neurological origin, it’s actually a cardiovascular problem - as such, a neurologic work-up is seldom rewarding. The two main causes of syncope are cardiac arrhythmias and neurocardiogenic (vasovagal, vasodepressor) syndromes. In both of these conditions, blood circulation to the brain is reduced, resulting in temporary loss of consciousness.



This affliction also affects bowel movements (because there is a chemical secretion required), as well as many other things.

I also noticed this evening that around my Mother's mouth it was a bluish color. Quite often when I see this, she is in the process of having a stroke.

I didn't notice anything else which would indicate a stroke, but I am acutely aware of these subtle signs.

The doctors and nurses have told me they always listen to what the caregiver says, because that person is the best one to know these signs.

And that is so true. I hope my Mom is not having a stroke, but she has had so many, it's really not a big deal anymore.

I will just have to keep an eye on her, in case she throws up, with is one of the other signs.

But overall, she seems OK.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home