Friday, July 22, 2011

Update on G

Since I have been so busy with M, G has been left to fend for himself
in many aspects.

He had an appointment with the surgeon last Friday, to see if the new
fistula site is ready for use. Normally I would have gone with him,
but of course can't now that I am taking care of M.

G came home Friday after dialysis, a little after 3:00 and said "I screwed
up". I asked what happened and he said "The surgeon asked me how long
it had been since the surgery, and I told him 6 weeks, rather than
insisting he look it up....and I now realize it's been 6 weeks since
I saw the surgeon, not 6 weeks since the surgery".

Well, I went nuts. What kind of a *** Dr. asks a stroke victim a question
like that, especially when the VA has a good computer system.

I immediately phoned the VA to try and get G an appointment for next week, but the Dr. had put in orders for an appointment in 4 weeks (which is what he told
G, that by then the fistula should be ready...), but the appointment person
couldn't go against Drs. orders, so she sent a note to a nurse who was to call me, but as it was 3:30 on a Friday afternoon, no one did, because no one at this VA facility works after 3:30 on Friday ....believe me I have watched the exodus.

(I overhear people saying "I worked through lunch so I am taking off early...)

Anyway, when G goes to dialysis on Monday he tells them what happened, and they phone for the VA renal Dr. whom we like. She was on vacation until Tuesday, and then Wed. when G went back to dialysis they told him he had an ultrasound scheduled for 8:00 AM Thursday. G asked me to phone for transport (he always gets wheelchair transport, and good thing, with me being busy these days).
\
The company assured me they would pick him up at 7:30, but when I phoned at 7:09 the next morning to confirm, I was told "we might be a little bit late"....I am quite sure they forgot (good thing I called).

Anyway, after G left I laid down for a nap, and M didn't bother me, (amazing), so I woke up around 11:00 and wondered why G wasn't back, an ultrasound doesn't take that long. Finally a little after noon I phoned the VA and found out he was having a procedure.

Apparently they went in with a balloon to try and open up the vein, as there is not enough blood flow. G has narrow veins. He says they don't think it will work.

We haven't talk about what they will do next....

I have decided I will start giving G aspirin. Maybe it will be the wonder
drug for him also.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home