Friday, July 15, 2011

Morphine has opposite affect

Our family has weird body chemistry. Sleeping pills kept my Mother awake,
and now I have figured out the Morphine makes M's heart race, instead
of slowing it down.

When the nurse was here yesterday, she thought M had some difficulty
breathing when he was talking, so she decided he needed some Morphine,
which is to help with breathing.

So, later in the evening, M said he was having trouble breathing, and
wanted more of the stuff the nurse suggested, so I gave him some (it's a
very small dosage).

Last night he kept saying he had trouble getting oxygen, wanted me
to call 911 to bring a ventilator. Then he decided to lay down
on the floor in front of the window a/c so he could get more
oxygen from the a/c (despite the fact he is on 2 liters of oxygen).

Finally this morning, when I realized he had not slept most of the
night, he suggested I take his blood pressure. His blood pressure
was fine, but his pulse was 120.

No wonder he thought he couldn't breath.

So, no more morphine. I called the nurse this morning, and
she suggested I start him on a regular dosage of Ativan, so
we will see if that helps with his anxiety, which should
also help him to breath.

Now, if I can just get him to eat.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home