Monday, June 27, 2011

Too Much

G is doing OK.

But, my brother M, 62 years old, is not.

Over a week ago I took him to the emergency room.

We knew he had a heart problem, he was to have an echocardiogram, but there was a waiting list, so finally a week ago Friday I said you have to go to the emergency room.

He walked in, checked himself in, I parked the car.

Long story short, he was admitted. They found a bad mitral valve, 2 blocked arteries in the heart and were to do surgery. But things started to go wrong. First, I think something during the heart cath caused some problems, because he could barely speak after the heart cath.
Then, they found one of the corotid arteries was blocked, and they would have to do surgery on it before they could do the heart surgery.
Then, they discontinued the IV lasix, and his body started filling up with water.
By the time they got more aggressive, his heart was having trouble pumping enough blood, and his kidneys and liver were not functioning properly.

So Friday the cardiologist said he was too high risk for surgery, and recommended hospice.

He was moved to inpatient hospice Sunday night, and I will take him to my house on Wed., assuming he is still alive by then.

I am just trying to hold it together. My brothers came up Friday night, and one is still here, and stayed last night in M's room.
I will go up around 10:30.

Later

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home