Sunday, July 3, 2011

Over Medicated

M was over medicated.

Huh, well, I am not surprised.

M is a handful. He is bi-polar with OCD, but never officially diagnosed because he always thought he did OK.

Anyway, I guess the staff at hospice got tired of him wanting something every 10 minutes, and started medicating him with sleeping aides and maybe morphine.

When he called me Thursday morning I thought he had a stroke, as he was slurring his words. When I got to the hospice room his eyes were half open, and they said he was too weak to go to the shower, they gave him a bed bath, and he was in adult diapers. So, no wonder I was in shock and so upset thinking he would die soon, or at the least, be bed bound.

After 2 days at my place with no sleep aides, only Antivan to help with his bi-polar anxiety, he is now getting up on his own to use the bed side commode. We did buy some pull-up diapers, just in case.

And today, my brother R took M over to M's house to use the computer (he needs to get the IP address so he can notify the bank he is moving the computer). He almost managed to walk up the 4 steps into his house...the neighbor came over to help out.

There is still a problem with M losing his appetite. Today he didn't feel like eating. I think maybe the food isn't moving through his digestive track, so I gave him some of the Senna which hospice prescribed. M is trying to eat dinner now, so we shall see.

He has agreed to contact the mental health clinic to ask for treatment. We will call on Tuesday. When his heart races he doesn't even know that's not normal.

R left today, he will be back on Thursday along with his tools, so he can help work on my house and M's.

M said he didn't want to go out to watch the fireworks, so that will be easier on all of us.

G is about the same. Last evening I sat with him and watched a movie, Malcolm X, which we enjoyed. I realize he is getting shortchanged in all of this, but now things are calming down so I hope he and I can spend more time together.

I am doing better. I have certainly learned I can't do it all, and have reached out to many of my friends and family for help and support. It's nice they have been there for me.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home