Wednesday, June 29, 2011

What a difference a drug makes...

Lasix does not work on M. This is the drug of choice for a diuretic. M had been on it for a couple of months, and when he saw the cardiologist about 4 weeks ago, the dosage was doubled.

But if it doesn't work, taking more won't do the job.

When they moved M to hospice Sunday evening, I asked the cardiologist if they could leave him on the diuretic (a new one), which seemed to be working. The cardiologist told me it wasn't the diuretic helping, it was all the other drugs.

So I resigned myself to thinking the fluid build up would return within a week, and he would be in respiratory if not heart failure.

But, when he got to hospice, they did put him on lasix, found out it didn't work, and changed it to another oral diuretic. That was yesterday morning.

Today, the swelling in M's left leg is below the knee, the best it has been in over 2 months.

At this rate, he really will improve.

He comes to my house tomorrow by wheelchair transport (my request)...I just can't handle trying to get him in and out of a car with over 100 degree temps, along with everything else. I will end up having a heart attack.

Anyway, M will be under hospice care, which gives us health aide 3 days a week, nurse once a week, social worker and chaplain. Lots of people for M to talk to, so he won't drive me nuts.

And I just bought a 42 inch internet capable TV, and will get cable hooked up this evening. The cable company was great....and I have learned to tell everyone what is going on, I am playing that sympathy card.


G is doing fairly well. He is taking care of himself more now that I am so busy.

Later

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home