Friday, July 1, 2011

M is home

M is at my house. It's not his home, but I suspect it will be until he dies.

The people at the hospice agency told me he might be able to live in his own
house with some assistance, but I don't think they realize how bad off he is.

Maybe they figured it out when he was so weak yesterday they had to give him a bed bath...I don't know.

I paid to have him brought here in a wheelchair van. The staff thought I could take him in my car LOL. I told them it might give me a heart attack, especially as it was to be 105 degrees yesterday, and turned out to hit 107.

Anyway, M got here yesterday. He is on oxygen and has a foley catheter. He is also in adult diapers.

That's the other thing, the hospital and hospice people weren't paying attention to poop. I asked them 2 days ago to give him some Miralax, but it never happened, and then yesterday morning when reviewing the chart with the nurse, she realized he had not had a BM for 4 days....
Well, then they got aggressive, gave him and enema and put him on stool softeners.

When M was in the hospital they didn't do anything about his lack of eating, or his lack of pooping. It's just amazing.

M is eating well now. He has a small dinner, and then a bowl of strawberries with ice cream, cool whip and almonds, and he ate it all.

Under hospice care I will get home health aide 3 days a week, nurse once a week, social worker, chaplain, and this agency has volunteers.
It will be great to have volunteers to come sit with M, and talk with him, etc.
I get so torn between all the things I need to do, and just spending time with him.

I am also asking my brother R who is here now, to stay through the 4th. If M is able, I would like R to take him to watch fireworks. M always loved fireworks, and I fear this will be his last 4th of July.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home