Thursday, July 21, 2011

Hospice Dr. Instructions - what crap

Yesterday when the nurse came I told her about the aspirin.

I got a phone call from her later in the day, saying "Dr. so and so doesn't want
you to give M more than one full strength aspirin per day because of what it might do to his liver".

Now, I don't know if this Dr. is getting Tylenol and Aspirin confused, but from what I have read aspirin doesn't really cause a problem with the liver (generally the stomach), and there are some studies suggesting aspirin may even help those with liver problems.

So, I politely told the nurse "Oh, OK", but of course I will do whatever I damn well thinks works.

But, just to check it (I always like to), I didn't give M aspirin last night, and this morning his urine was a darker color.

The new problem which has started is coughing. A dry, unproductive cough, which is probably due to the heart valve problem.

I have started giving him a bit of morphine, along with the medicine which worked for agitation. They gave me some in a liquid form, so I can dispense a small dose, and he doesn't have to swallow a pill.

Things are a bit better organized. I finally got a computer with internet in the front room, along with a day bed, dining room table and a recliner.

Today M ordered a lift recliner as the recliners I have are old (cast offs from my Mom), and sometimes one gets "stuck". He ordered it from overstock.com, so it
should be delivered to our door in a week or so. The nurse suggested that he might sleep better in a recliner and in a bed, as quite often people with heart problems need to be more elevated.

My problem now is keeping him entertained. He isn't really reading books, sometimes does crossword puzzles, has become bored with TV, and apparently even the Internet.

It's way to hot to even think about going outside, so all of us have a bit of "cabin fever".

At least I managed to get some sleep this morning, while G was at the Drs., M left me alone (amazing). I don't think I have had 4 straight hours of sleep since M came home.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home