Thursday, July 28, 2011

That is not an option!

Today, as I was driving to the VA, I got a phone call from the case manager.

Long story short, she was under the impression G had refused medical treatment, and if he did not want continue procedures, then perhaps they would not be aggressive, and essentially, put him on "palliative care" (ie; hospice).

Well, you can imagine my reaction. Essentially I told her the Drs. just needed to try harder and do a better job, and no, I know for a fact that G had not refused medically treatment. I got a call at 5:00 AM from the incompetent nurse, telling me the same thing, so I got up and drove to the VA. What had happened was this nurse has trouble getting an IV into G (G is hard to stick), and called in another nurse, but then he also was trying, and G told him they didn't need to be trying 2 IV sites, try just one first.

Anyway, we agreed to meet. So she sat and talked with me for a while, and then she and I went into G's room, and she talked to him, which made his blood pressure go up (which was actually good as his blood pressure was low)...anyway, we are to have another meeting tomorrow with all Drs. involved to be sure we all know the plan of action going forward.

Also, the Dr. filling in for the renal Dr. came in today. We talked about all the problems getting access, and he mentioned a couple of new things they have had success with, so perhaps tomorrow he can enlighten others as to what can be done.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home