Monday, April 18, 2011

Nice Weekend

G has been walking around the house without his walker. As long as there are door frames or furniture he can hold onto. In one way this is good, because it makes him stand up straight.

But sometimes it just scares the heck out of me. He hasn't fallen, and he is very careful, so I just have to quit worrying so much.

Saturday afternoon I wanted to go shopping for some hardware for a dresser, and asked G if he wanted to go along.

We ended up at Lowe's and although G walked in with his walker, he saw they had the electric carts, so sat in one of those and we put the walker in the basket.

It was great that he could drive all over the store, just following me around.

I didn't find the hardware I wanted, but we ended up buying some lumber. He wants to have some shelves built in the bathroom. I agree we need them, but have put it off until the bathroom gets remodelled. Well, I decided not to fight him on it. It's just not worth it, and it gives him some control over something.

I got the lumber in the car, no problem. When we got home he said "I will unload the lumber and put it next to the steps and you can carry it up the steps". I didn't say anything, but just went about my business carrying other things into the house. When I came back out he was standing by the car in the grass. Not sure what he had tried to do, but he admitted he couldn't carry the lumber.

However, he did walk up the wheelchair ramp with his walker. He was afraid to walk down the ramp, because part of the ramp the angle is too steep.

Oh, and Sat. evening we went out for sushi. I dropped him at the curb, he managed to get into the restaurant and was sitting at a table when I finally arrived. After dinner, he told me to get the car, that he would get the check and meet me out front. And he did, although one of the restaurant employees was standing next to him.

He is also now able to deliver dirty dishes to the kitchen sink, and sometimes he can manage to get himself something to eat. If I get the refrigerator better organized, he could do this more often.

So all in all things are going much better. And I am able to get a lot more done around the house, since I don't have to spend so much time at the VA.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home