Monday, April 18, 2011

Care Plan Meeting, with no plan

This afternoon I received a call from the social worker at the dialysis center, asking if I could attend a "care plan meeting" nest week. The Dr. would not be there, but on the phone.

I said I probably could.

G was not yet home from dialysis. Long story short he had told them he would not attend, so they called me. He said they only want to do it because they get paid for it, that is not a requirement of the VA, and the last care plan meeting was not productive.

I had already told the social worker that the Dr. should be prepared to discuss the actual plan of care in the meeting.. like what is "plan B" if the catheter fails? She said she would pass it on to the Dr.

I don't remember all that happened, but the nurse called me to say they had taken cultures from the catheter site, to see if it was infected (it's bleeding a little, apparently G pointed this out to the nurse), and that G should see the Dr. at the Va. I asked "which Dr.,", and she said his renal Dr., to which I replied "but what about the Dr. at the dialysis center, who is a renal Dr.?". Then she said "well, the Dr. who put in the catheter?", Oh, I replied, the surgeon? Well, could the Dr. put in a request for consult, because it's difficult to get an appt.

The nurse phoned back later, saying it was after 4:00 and they couldn't get in touch with anyone at the Va. I said G would be at the VA tomorrow for other appts., wo he will try to see a Dr. She told me to check if he has a fever tonight, and if so, to take him to the emergency room.

G and I both agree there is probably not an infection, just some oozing because of all of the blockages, if there is a hole stuff wants to come out.

Anyway, about 8:00 tonight I got a call from my sister, saying there was a phone call on my nephews cell phone (which was my cell number over a year ago) from a Dr., asking me to call before 5:00.

I have checked and rechecked the number for me on file at the dialysis center no less than 3 times. But, they are not computerized, and have big book they put it in. Apparently the Dr. is looking at some old document.

And so it goes.

Well, at leazt I am making them do some work. I told the nurse and the social worker that to tell the patient he is suppose to coordinate his care is a bit absurb.

We shall see what happens tomrrow.


G went to bed early. We went to the AT & T store to cancel the internet we had signed up for but never got...long story. He was pretty tired after all of that.

I really worry about him. I think he is having some heart problems, but of course, being a man, he keeps telling me he is OK.

I just don't argue anymore. It is what it is.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home