Saturday, December 19, 2009

Cleaning out Mom's closet

Yesterday my sister and I spent a few hours cleaning out my Mom's closet.

Well, at least the clothes that were on hangars. We didn't get through the shelf, the shoes, and the other stuff she had tucked away.

My sister is about the same size as was my Mother, before her strokes, so there were quite a few clothes my sister tried on. I don't know how many she took, but there were a couple of nice outfits which I saw on her, and encouraged her to take.

And she seemed pleased.

Most of the clothes we boxed up for charity, but several which I considered a bit "vintage" we kept back for the estate sale. If they don't sell, we can always send them to charity, but I know some people go to estate sales looking for vintage clothes.

I took all the costume jewelry and handkerchiefs. Not that I really need all that stuff, but it might be fun to enjoy for a while.

I did pull down one box from the shelf. It contained old photos, some things from my Dad's time in the military, the cable announcing the birth of my oldest brother (my Father was in Tinnian at the time), and I don't know what all else.

I thought it would be fun for my brother's and I to sort through that box at Christmas. It will be my brothers, me, and my b/f for dinner. My sister and her family are going to Florida.

And Christmas is fast approaching. We don't do gift exchange, so I don't have that stress. Just cooking dinner.

This will probably be the last time we use Mom's house for a dinner.

I can't decide if I should use her china, or get down the Christmas dishes.

I'll let my brother M decide.

As Mom wasn't able to sit at a table to eat the last couple of years, it won't be too difficult eating without her.

I still haven't made it to the cemetery. Maybe I will go in the next week.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home