Saturday, December 12, 2009

Taking care of family

Parents are always parents, up until the roll reversal, when the children start taking care of parents.

As I have mentioned before, some in my family, as in many families, have problems managing their lives.

I use to think it was just because they didn't want to, but now I realize it's not necessarily their fault. Unfortunately we have a genetic disposition to bi-polar and other mental health issues.

Sometime after my Mother had her strokes, an issue came up with one of my siblings. I could tell my Mother was concerned, although she had long ago learned to kick her chicks out of the nest, even when they kept trying to return.

To ease her mind, I told her I would try to help out my siblings when I could.

It becomes a balancing act, trying to help. I have learned I can only do so much.

Badgering doesn't really help, but sometimes planting a seed, with a little nudging, assistance, and follow up sometimes moves things along.

My brother M (the one I have previously referred to as crazy, which I won't in the future, I am trying to be nice), has already gone through the first installment he received of the inheritance.

I wasn't surprised. What did surprise me, was that he was surprised. When I saw him a couple of days ago he said "I don't know where it went? I know of a couple of expenses, but the rest I don't know".

So, I have invited him for dinner tonight. Perhaps I can "plant some seeds" for planning his future.

Plus, I have a couple of things for him to do on my house. He likes to help, and that is certainly a good trait.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home