Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Oh my! The stuff Mom kept....

It's a good thing Mom's house doesn't have an attic. The stuff she managed to keep in her closets is amazing.

I spent a few hours at her house today, doing my laundry. She had an old hat box in her closet, which I remember from my childhood. I took it down today, and was surprised to find her hat which she wore when she got married. As she was married during wartime, with little notice, she ended up wearing a suit and hat. I guess I had seen it in years past, but forgot.

I also found a hat she made out of pheasant feathers. I remember when she made that hat. Someone who hunted gave her the feathers, and I recall she had quite a lot of trouble getting them clean and affixed to the hat. This was in the days before all the fancy glues like we have now, so I don't really know how she accomplished the task.

She never wore it very much as I think hats went out of style soon after. I presume she kept it, just because it took her so long to make it.

I want to keep these hats, but then I look at all the stuff I have already....and, well, maybe we can find a nice home for them with someone who wears hats.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home