Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Letting Mom go

Well, my Mom is failing.

The home health aide came today. I had to have a talk with her. Tell her that she needs to let me Mom go.

The last time my Mom took a turn, the home health aide got her to eat. I swear, my Mom didn't die then only because the home health aide wouldn't let her.

So today, when she arrived, I told her " You have to accept the fact that Mom is dying, and tell her it's OK. I've already told her it's OK for her to go to heaven, so you can't be telling her she has to eat". We laughed and cried.

I suggested she wash my Mom's hair, as I knew my Mom would enjoy it (she was sweating yesterday from her exertion). And, I knew the home health aide would feel good that she could do something for my Mom.

Working in the field of hospice is just emotionally exhausting. The home health aide is planning to get her degree in nursing, and go into another field. She has been a home health aide for almost 10 years, so it's time she progressed.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Dutiful Daughter said...

I don’t suppose a conscientious, caring hospice caregiver ever really gets used to having a patient die. It’s a very sad time, even when you know it is inevitable and for the best.

October 27, 2009 at 6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home