Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Another day of caregiving

Oh what a day.

The home health came today to give my mom her bath. We also had to change the sheets, including the comforter which I had put on top of the air mattress provided, which I think is too hard.

As we were turning her over when we changed the sheets, I noticed this blob thing on her back. It looked like a blob of gelatin. On closer inspection it was a water blister.

I was quite shocked, as I had not seen it earlier in the morning when I changed her. I didn't feel so bad when the home health aide said she didn't see it when she washed her back.

My only guess is, is just materialized in a few minutes.

My immediate reaction was to lance it, which I did, with a sterilized needle.

Then, we called the nurse, who said not to lance it (what to they know!)

Anyway, the deed was done. I put some antibiotic cream on it, and tonight I took a gauze pad and put Vaseline on it (so it would stick) and put some more antibiotic cream on the blister. By then the blister had gone down, so, in my opinion, I did the right thing by lancing it.

That's not the only problem I had today. As my mom's arm was once again swelling I gave her a diuretic. Well, as she was sitting sideways in bed to eat lunch, and was quite close to the edge of the bed, I noticed there was a wet spot on the carpet. And no, we did not spill any water, so you know what that meant.

I had to change her diaper, the turn sheet, and her shirt.

I guess I earned my keep today.

Just another day in paradise.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home