Thursday, May 28, 2009

Options other than a nursing home

The Bible Study group isn't coming today after all.

The leader of the group must have some blood taken out. She has some medical ailment (I can't recall what) for which the remedy is to remove blood from her. Apparently there is some validity to blood letting.

Anyway, when we were chatting yesterday she brought me up to date on one of my mom's friends from church.

This woman is over 90, and after suffering another stroke she finally realized she could not live at home (although she tried). She initially went into a nursing home, but now has moved to a type of a group home, which is now called "residential care home". This is becoming the preferred way to take care of those needing nursing home type care.

I don't know all the details, but generally it is in a actually home which has been remodelled to accommodate around 5 people, each with their own bedroom and bathroom, with common dining and living areas.

There is 24/7 staff to cook meals and attend to their needs. I suppose a nurse comes in at least once a week, and more often if needed.

Apparently my mom's friend is much more comfortable in the group home, because the nursing home was so noisy she had trouble sleeping (same problem my mother had), and she just wants to be left alone, which they will do.

Also, it's cheaper than the nursing home. An added benefit.

If for some reason I can no longer take care of mom at home, I will certainly be looking into a group home for her.

In fact, I think I will start looking into them now. One never knows.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home