Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Decorating graves for Memorial Day

I will go decorate graves for Memorial Day. My dad's, my sister's, and my mother's parents.

My mother was always big on this. I think it's that generational thing.

Dutiful Daughter had this comment regarding visiting "resting places".


Blogger Dutiful Daughter said...


Now Mother’s Day means buying a bouquet of flowers, leaving half in Dad’s apartment for him to enjoy, and taking him to leave the other half at Mom’s memorial, (where her ashes are in an urn in a “niche”). I confess that I had to learn the behavior of visiting Mom’s niche. Mom died in April two years ago and Dad (pre-heart attack) was critical that I hadn’t gone to “visit” her. I got defensive and said that it hadn’t occurred to me to go there because I didn’t consider Mom to be there.

Now I’ve learned to take Dad there regularly during the season that flowers won’t freeze and to honor Mom with a “visit” on Memorial Day, the anniversary of her death and the anniversary of their anniversary. It would have been 60 years for them this year. I know I’ll continue to go when the ashes of the love of her life are in the niche beside hers.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home