Friday, May 8, 2009

What to do for Mother's Day?

All of our immediate family will come for Mother's Day. That will be a total of 9 people.

When my sister asked what we should do for Mother's Day, I decided to delegate it to her. She is arranging for the food, and we will get mom cards and flowers. This will be the third year buying a Mother's Day card for her, thinking it might be the last.

Last week I asked mom what she wanted for Mother's Day.

When she hesitated, I spoke what she was probably thinking, "a new body?".

She said "that would be nice", and we both laughed.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Dutiful Daughter said...

I remember when my dad was still living at home after Mom died, he would come out on the drive to wave every time I left. I would always look at him and wave until I couldn’t see him any longer. I would wonder if that would be the last time I’d see him standing there waving. Then one day, it was... He had a heart attack and never went back home to live.

Fortunately, he’s thriving in his “independent living” situation. I look at his dear, old face and soak it in. You never know when it will be the last time.

Now Mother’s Day means buying a bouquet of flowers, leaving half in Dad’s apartment for him to enjoy, and taking him to leave the other half at Mom’s memorial, (where her ashes are in an urn in a “niche”). I confess that I had to learn the behavior of visiting Mom’s niche. Mom died in April two years ago and Dad (pre-heart attack) was critical that I hadn’t gone to “visit” her. I got defensive and said that it hadn’t occurred to me to go there because I didn’t consider Mom to be there.

Now I’ve learned to take Dad there regularly during the season that flowers won’t freeze and to honor Mom with a “visit” on Memorial Day, the anniversary of her death and the anniversary of their anniversary. It would have been 60 years for them this year. I know I’ll continue to go when the ashes of the love of her life are in the niche beside hers.

May 8, 2009 at 5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home