Friday, May 1, 2009

How can you tell when they will die?

I have been searching for information on how to know when someone will die.

The hospice people don't really talk about this, at least in the beginning. I suppose also because we are so prepared for my mom's death, we didn't need those discussions. My mother has a DNR, "do not resuscitate order" which was signed 5 years ago (when my mother was healthy). Her funeral was planned and paid for a number of years ago.

I know if my mom were closer to death, the hospice nurse would be saying something. All she has said is "when your mom quits eating, you will have to worry about skin breakdown".

My mom had trouble breathing again last evening. This happened last week, and I was quite certain the problem was allergies and congestion from "nasal drip". I started giving her allergy pills a few days ago, and that seemed to do the trick. However, today the problem reappeared.

It is so hard watching her trying to cough. She can't sit up (or even roll over) unassisted. Whenever she tries to cough I help her sit up, but that doesn't do the trick. I am finding that giving her ice chunks helps her to cough.

Why this really worries me is because I wonder if her lungs are filling up with fluid. She has congestive heart failure. Maybe this is the problem.

I got some cough syrup and will give it to her tonight so she can sleep. I hope it doesn't kill her. I'm quite sure it won't. The hospice nurse comes tomorrow so I will discuss it with her.

Update - next morning mom was snoring peacefully. Hope she got a good nights rest. Another day of caregiving begins.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home