Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Long Day

G saw the speech therapist this morning. He told me when we were eating lunch, that the therapist asked him to say words that began with S, he couldn't think of any. He did better coming up with name for fruits. I could tell this bothered him.

The the renal Dr. (Dr. B) happened to see us eating lunch and stopped by. Apparently G's catheter didn't work very well yesterday. They might have to go for a longer run if it keeps clotting up. But, I suspect that by tomorrow or Friday, it won't run at all.


I mentioned my concern with the lack of blood to his brain. She said he should be put on Plavix, so we discussed this with Dr. M., the primary Dr. He said pharmacy won't let him prescribe Plavix unless there is a stent. (I know Plavix is very, very, expensive). But I told him there is a stent, in the arm, which is when the stroke occurred. I could even remember the date, so with this information he was able to find it in the computer. I don't know it this will make any difference, and based on experience with my Mom, it really takes 2 months to clear out any blockages.

Dr. M. listened to the fistula G has in his left arm. He said the fistula is very strong. We told him that the surgeon says the site is unusable, but Dr. B. thinks maybe something could be done to open up the veins which are blocked.

I told Dr. M that I think the problem, that neither of the Drs. want to mention is if they use that fistula site, due to the blockages, it could send out a blood clot. Not necessarily to the brain, but to the lungs. This is what Dr. Z had mentioned to me (from the nursing home). I guess since Dr. Z is a geriatric dr., he is more accustom to delivering bad news.

Dr. M thought about this, mapped out the vein flow in his head, and said, OH, yea.

He did give G encouraging news about recovering from his stroke, although I think he just wants to remain positive.

Of course, if they can't get a fistula going, or a catheter to work....well, enough said.

The surgeon wrote Dr. M that he plans to do the surgery in the right leg, to do some sort of "loop", to get a fistula going there. Problem is, 2 weeks away for surgery, and then at least 6 weeks before you have a functioning fistula, if it works.

That's 8 weeks out.

Well, maybe G's kidneys will decide to start working.

A new NetFlix disk arrived in the mail today. Mad Men, so we will enjoy a nice evening watching it.

G generally spends his time watching TV shows and Movies on his computer. He is finding all kind of things to watch, NOVA, History Channel, and NetFlix recommends things he might like, most of which are now available as downloads.

At least this is how he passes the time, and I know it keeps his mind off of what the future might hold.

We don't talk about it. I am afraid if we did, I would start crying, and that's not good.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home