Wednesday, July 1, 2009

End stage dementia

End stage dementia.

That's the official designation for my Mom's condition, according to the hospice paperwork.

What caused her to get to this condition is something called neurocardiogenic syncope, which is a fainting disorder. Basically something in the Endocrine system quits working.
It's long and complicated, to be discussed in another posting.

Anyway, the home health agency changed forms, so now I get a copy every week of the notes from the nurse.

It's always interesting to see comments from someone else.

I find it difficult to accept that my Mother has become this old frail lady who dozes off and on as the nurse takes her vital signs. But, this is what the nurse writes in her notes.

However, it rang true the other day. As I was feeding apple pie to Mom, I asked her if Dad's favorite pie was cherry (I am certain it was).

Her reply was "I don't know".

Only a few months ago, I am certain she would have known.

End stage dementia.

I don't want to see the end. I guess one day she won't know who I am.

But somehow, I think she will still sense that I am someone who loves her and takes care of her, the same way a baby knows they are loved and cared for.

It's life in reverse.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home