Friday, July 17, 2009

Aspirin helps with edema (swelling)

My Mother had quite severe swelling (the official term is edema) from water accumulation.

This occurred in her left arm about 3-4 of months ago.

She had swelling in her left ankle after her stroke, and they prescribed a diuretic for it. So after the swelling got quite bad in her left arm, I gave her diuretics, which did cause the swelling to go down.

Diuretics cause you to pee more, but here is the official definition.

From MedicineNet

Diuretic: Anything that promotes the formation of urine by the kidney. (The word "diuretic" comes from a combination of the Greek "dia-", thoroughly + "ourein", to urinate = to urinate thoroughly).




However, because of her condition, neurocardiogenic syncope (a fainting disorder), she should drink a lot of water to keep her blood pressure up. So, giving her a diuretic of course works counter to this endeavor.

I am not sure why I decided to give her full strength aspirin to see if it would help. But anyway, I did. And, it did help.

At first I gave her 1 full strength aspirin a day, which kept the swelling down for about a month, and then it increased a little. So, I have upped the dosage to 2 full strength, and it's been around a month with no increase in edema.

I think aspirin might be a miracle drug.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home