Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Worrying about Incision

G had surgery a little over a week ago. It was a 4 hour surgery in his right upper leg. He has 1 incision about a foot long from his knee up the inner side of his thigh. Then an incision about 6 inches long across the very top of the leg, and then one little incision on the top of his thigh.

They showed me how to change the bandage before he left the hospital, and gave me supplies. The dressing is to be changed every day, and every day I get a little bit better at applying the bandages. It's really quite easy, with no-stick pads, some paper tape, and then a couple of stretchy net tubes which holds everything in place.

However, yesterday G said that his incision area was hurting. That really got me worried, because the last incision got infected.

As I have no medical training, I am a bit unsure of what to look for, what is normal, etc. I always spray the incision with the cleanser they gave us.

I'm still not sure what caused G the pain. From what I can tell everything looks basically OK.

He goes back to the surgeon on Friday, so I think everything will be OK until then.

On another note, 2 days ago he said "bring me some (couldn't remember word)...tweezers". I brought him some, and he showed me a stitch that had come out of this arm where the previous surgery had been performed (the one that got infected). Apparently a stitch had worked it's way out. So guess they didn't use that material that dissolves, and probably the reason for the infection were stitches that had not been removed.

He tried to pull it out,then I tried to pull it out, then I saw there was a loop, so I cut it, and then pulled out the stitch. There was blood, which G immediately blotted, I ran for a gauze pad, and then some strong tape.

Good thing we have lots of supplies in the house.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home