Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Playing Mom

This post is about my family, so if you are here to read about G, you can skip this.

After my Mom had her stroke about 4 years ago, in some ways I became the "Mom" of the family. No matter how old one's Mother is, she is the one who holds the family together, worries about everyone, settles disputes, etc.

And now I feel a bit in the roll of Dr. Mom.

About a week ago my sister (with whom I am not close) phoned to tell me she had swollen feet and ankles after standing all day, substitute teaching. I told her this was a sign of a heart condition. She didn't want to believe me.

Four days later she phoned to say she was in the hospital, went to the emergency room the night before with chest pains, elevated blood pressure. They did a heart cath, and she has a 50% blockages in the heart.

This is no surprise to me, or my other siblings, as she is overweight, doesn't exercise, and the only thing green she has eaten in the last year is a spinach cheese dip with tortilla chips.

Then yesterday my brother M phoned. He has been sick with various things for the last month. He said allergies, I said pneumonia....he has been to the Dr. 2 times, and now went to the emergency clinic the day before. Now he has stomach problems. I told him to eat a bland diet (he had stomach problems, but then went to a festival and ate nachos and drank coke, then threw up LOL), go buy Benefiber and take it 2 times a day until his bowels get cleared out and regular.

I just now sent him a follow-up e-mail to see how he is doing. At least he will eat fruits and vegetables, although he probably does not.

And, my oldest brother has been sick. He was taking anti-biotics, so hope it's cleared up. He is suppose to be flying this weekend, so will check in with him.

Not that I should be worrying about all these people, but, if they do end up in the hospital, I will be worrying.

Can't help it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home