Friday, May 13, 2011

Incision a little infected..??

Good thing the surgeon who knows G came in to look at the incision.

The resident looked at it initially...I showed him the 2 spots which I thought were "suspect". He said they were OK.

Then the surgeon came in, looked at the same 2 spots and said they could be a problem, and called Dr. B to have G put on a round of vancomiacin for a week. They give the vanco IV at the end of the dialysis run (which was today).

I don't think there is anything I could have done to prevent the infection - it's just a problem with G, and good thing the surgeon knows this and took action.

So, after the meeting with the surgeon, G and I had some time to kill so we went to the cafeteria and had biscuits and gravy. We eat healthy at home, so this was a treat. That, plus we don't get out much now as it's not good for G to go in a car.

That fact was also reinforced by the surgeon today, who told G to stay in his wheelchair as much as possible.

Oh, and the really good news is the surgeon could feel 2 fistulas going, so we hope in 6 weeks or so G will have a functioning fistula. Yeaahh!! Now, if only his catheter can keep running until then. It's doing fairly well so far.

Now, back to the vancomiacin. So I know the dialysis center should have the order for the Vanco by say 11:00 (the Drs. spoke around 9:15), but as I know one cannot just assume things will get done, I call. Sure enough, the nurse taking care of G at dialysis knows nothing. I make sure to call while I am still at the VA, and when I find out the dialysis nurse knows nothing, I try to get the phone number for Dr. B's nurse...but the operator won't give it to me, I go into voice mail hell, so I go to the office area.

Well, wouldn't you know it, neither Dr. B nor her nurse are around. I, looking as foreorn and and frustrated as possible, ask someone going by to help me.

Lucky for me she was nice (she is a nurse who works in Oncology, and I think anyone who works in that field has to be nice). She tracked down Dr. B., who asked the nurse to try and pull up something in the computer, but apparently there was not an order on file for this anti-biotic. So, the nurse phoned Dr. B. back, and then Dr. B said she would call Dr. C. (the Dr. at the dialysis clinic).

And, sure enough, when I check around 12:15, the clinic had the order.


It's Friday, and we just can't put this off until Monday.

Yea!! Score one for the caregiver.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home