Sunday, August 30, 2009

My "things to do list"

No, this is not my list of things to do taking care of Mom.

This is my fantasy list, of things I might do after she dies.

When I was working (at a 8-5 job), I, like most people, had that list of "things to do when I retire".

After I quit working, I managed to get most of the things on that list accomplished.
1) Live overseas
2) Learn a foreign language
3) Sleep late, do nothing
4) Read 4 newspapers a day
5) Take a train trip across the U.S.
6) Do road trips

Things like that.

I enjoyed doing them, but actually got a bit tired of travelling, which seems quite impossible for someone who loves to travel. But, it's like anything, too much of it and one tires.

However, now that I have been tied down for a couple of years (well, not really, as I have managed a cruise, a trip to Italy, a month in S. Texas), I am starting my list of "things to do", after Mom dies.

It's a way to keep my sanity. A little fantasy to escape the mundane day to day.

One of the top items on my list is to live in New York (Manhattan) for a month.

Because of the economic downturn, it's much easier to find an apartment to sub-let.
The NY Times has an article on this subject.

Although I have worked in Manhattan, I have never lived there. And, it would be so fun to live there when you are not working - to be able to visit museums, shows, all the sites, without wearing yourself out trying to squeeze in all the "things to do" in a week or two.

Living overseas for a year or two, teaching English is also on the list. Korea and China look promising.

Visit Vietnam. I was to go there in Oct. 2001 - even got my visa, but then decided it might not be the best time to be travelling.

Finish working on my house. I have a house I am trying to rehab. I bought it 2 weeks before my Mom had her first stroke. Needless to say, progress has been slow.

However, the nice thing about it taking so long is I can change my mind 3 times. I have no deadlines, no pressure. I continue to look at magazines and books for decorating ideas.

I can remember when I was young, mother use to always say "I will be so glad when you kids grow up". I know she felt tied down, and longed for freedom to work on "her list".

She spent at least 25 years raising her children, so I certainly should not be whining about a few years taking care of her.

But, I think it's quite health to fantasize, and plan. Especially the planning and researching part. That's a good way to utilize my time now.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home