Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Mother's Keeper

The NY Times has an article on a woman taking care of her mother (who has Alzheimer's), and is stay-at-home-mom. (click here for link)

It's like so many stories on this subject. After a while they all sound the same.

But, the point it makes is the problem of caring for a parent is, it ties you to the house.

That's the problem I have.

It's not really so much the actual work of taking care of Mom, it's just the fact that I can't leave unless someone is here.

If I were the kind of person who enjoyed staying at home, never leaving the house, it would be OK. However, I am almost the opposite. I have always hated staying at home. When I quit working, I never stayed at home all day long. I always had to get out of the house, several times a day.

I think we need to set up a matching service, where people with Agoraphobia are matched with caregivers, so they can just come and stay in the house when we have to go out.

Of course, getting them out of their house will be the first problem. I guess they would have to be "live in".

Just a thought.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home