Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Chaplain came to visit

The Chaplain from Hospice called yesterday morning, asking if he could come visit my Mother.

When I first heard his voice on the phone, I thought it was my Mother's minister.

I wonder if all of these guys are taught to use to the same, soothing sounding voice when dealing with old dying people. Probably so.

Anyway, the Chaplain came and spent some time with my Mother. I left them alone, so that my Mother would have to respond to him. She tends not to talk unless required.

I have always found it a little strange that my Mother's minister never comes to visit. He was here last Feb. when she first went under Hospice (thinking she would die soon, I presume), and he saw her a couple of times when she was in the hospital. But that's it. It really bothers me, as she goes to a small church, and has attended faithfully for 50 years or more.

However, the minister made a comment during his visit that might explain his lack of visits. He said when his Grandparents were elderly, with dementia or Alzheimer's, that they were not the same people he knew growing up.

I think perhaps he is afraid he would have to deal with my Mother saying inappropriate things, although my Mother has never done so.

And, I am not going to call him to come visit. Every time he sees my Mom he makes her answer all these questions about her beliefs, as if she were Catholic or something.

At least the Chaplain just sings songs and says stupid things which he thinks are amusing.

My Mother is probably not very amused by his visits, but, at least it's a visit.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home