Friday, March 26, 2010

What I would tell my Mom

I am not one to visit the cemetery and talk to Mom. I was not brought up that way.

However, I do feel the need to tell Mom how things are going, so thought I would write her a letter. It's my way of getting things off my chest. So here goes.

Dear Mom,

Your house is sold. We got it cleaned up and on the market in January, and got a contract in 2 weeks. Of course, then we had to get everything out of the house, which as you know, was a lot of stuff.

We held the estate sale last week. Three days. We sold a lot of stuff. Almost everything. Many people are now enjoying those treasures of yours, some hidden away, some just no longer noticed. Us kids took almost all the furniture. We did sell your big chest freezer. You would have been happy. The guy that bought it didn't speak English, so I had to use my Spanish. When he came back to pick it up, and hour later, with cash and muscle, I noticed there were 3 children sitting in the back of the pick-up. They will make good use of the freezer, and they got a good deal. It made them happy, and it made me happy.

Because the weather forecast called for snow on the last day, we were making deals the day before, trying to get as much sold as possible.

Maybe we didn't make as much money as we might have, but at least we didn't have to pack stuff up and haul it off.

In particular I remember a pillow you had made. It was lavender (your favorite color). It was probably made in the 60's, as it was out of gingham. with each check stitched into a point. I remember when they were new, the points were pressed and starched, and stuck up. Not pillows to be used, only for decoration. Now it was all pressed down and in need of a good wash. I was tempted to take it, but I really didn't need it. A younger girl came in and bought it, said she was decorating "shabby chic", and of course, this was just perfect for that style. We told her our Mom had made it, and about how old it was (surely older than the purchaser).

So, your things are making other people happy.

Remember the painted mirror that hung in the hallway? I remember you told me you bought it from someone who painted on mirrors and sold them door to door. You kept it from when you bought it (probably in the 50's) until we sold it last week. The guy who bought it probably has an antique store (although he tried not to let on). I told him it's story. He also bought some of the scrap books you had made for kids to look through, with pictures cut from magazines and things. I'm sure many people thought those should have gone in the trash, but obviously someone thinks they are special.

Your china set went to the girl who was your "adopted granddaughter". None of us wanted fine china, but couldn't just sell it because of all the pieces you had painted to match.

Everyone got something. No fights over what people wanted.

And I have helped your other children, as promised. M. bought a house, and is almost moved. There are still a couple of issues, like a broken pipe and furnace which won't keep running, but I am sure with my help it will be livable in the next couple of days.

Now I need to get busy on my house. You remember my house. You came here one time. I'm really glad you got to see it.

The flowers at your house are blooming. The daffodils and hyacinths are in bloom, tulips are coming up. Mums need to be cut down, and probably the hydrangea, although I never really know what to do with it. I have transplanted some of everything I want, especially some of the Iris which you got from the lady who lived where the "new" airport is today. That would make those Iris at least 50 years old or so.

I don't know if the new owners will be into gardening. I have offered to show them where everything is planted, with instructions on how to care for them, so we shall see if they take me up on the offer.

The closing is next week.

You can rest easy. It's all under control.


Love and miss you,

Your daughter

P.S. We found your 50th birthday card that I and my friend K. made for you. You kept saying you had kept it, but couldn't find it. We found it after the sale, in some odd box. How funny.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you found that card!

kkb

April 2, 2010 at 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home