Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Dealing with dealers at the estate sale

My Mother had Christmas dishes which were given to her about 10 years ago. Not anything from our childhood.

None of us wanted them, so they were up for sale.

A woman came in the 2nd day, and picked them up to buy when I was in another part of the house. When I returned to the cashier table (which my sister was handling), our helper was busily packing up the dishes for this woman.

I thought it was a little odd this woman was happy to just stand out of the way, and even give some instructions on the packing, but not offering to help in any way.

I mean heck, this wasn't a department store, and she got them very cheaply.

She was telling us these were for her mother who lives one state over, about a 5 hour drive.... then something about she might ship them to her, then some
other things, and my radar started going off. Since I had missed the initial conversation, I wasn't sure if I should be wondering about her story or not... not that it really mattered, she paid what they were marked.

However, when they were boxed up, a guy came to the door to help her carry them to their vehicle.

I recognized him as someone who had come in the day before, looked around, and left. He was better dressed than most of the people we were seeing.

An hour or so after he left, and I had time to digest what went on, I told my sister and her friend (our helper) that the woman was a dealer.

They were both shocked, and wanted to know why I thought so.

I found it amusing that the next day, both of them were recounting things the woman said which made them suspicious.

Yea, right.

Well, they are both stay at home Mom's who have home schooled their children, so they are not use to running into people who outright lie to you.

Oh, the really funny thing is I realized later the woman just assumed these dishes are like 40 or 50 years old. The only problem with that, is she will be misrepresenting them to any buyers.

I know someone who has a 2nd home in the area she claims her Mother lives. So, I think I will ask her to put out the word if anyone sees these dishes in an antique store. It's a small world, one never knows.

The dealer is probably telling everyone what rubes we are.

Which reminds me of a joke...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home