Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Giving ativan, but not morphine

Last night my Mother was particularly anxious. She wanted me to hold her hand, changing positions 3 and 4 times, not wanting to let go. As I had given her both morphine and ativan, I found this strange, as she should have been knocked out.

But, since drugs don't always work on her as they do most people, I thought I would experiment.

So, this morning I gave her only the ativan, not any morphine. She seemed less agitated. Then by this afternoon, the home health aide stopped by, and she even got Mom to talk! That girl is just amazing. As the nurse says "she is just a ray of sunshine".

But, my Mother did seem more alert (hello - not so many drugs), and was comfortable.

Then a few hours later she sounded like she was "wheezing", not "gurgling", and the wheezing has in the past been from allergies.

So I gave her 2 benedryl. Hour later she was knocked out, almost snoring, just like the old days.

The nurse says her oxygen level was still under 90%, her pulse if very fast, her heart is strong, but now has a slight murmur or "squishy" sound. Her temperature was 98, so that is down from yesterday.

The nurse said that in the next couple of days Mom could "rally", and ask to eat.

I guess we will cross that bridge when/if it comes.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous ativan prescription said...

Ativan worked great for me. Took .5mg a day for about 1 month and really helped me with my anxiety. I actually wanted to get out of the house and do things, which I never could do before. But after about 3 weeks of taking it I developed an irregular heartbeat. The doctors say that the Ativan is not related to the palps but I never had anything wrong with my heart before I started taking the Ativan. Now on a beta blocker to calm down the irregular heartbeats but that is a whole different story.

February 9, 2011 at 6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home