Thursday, October 29, 2009

Call me when she dies....

Well, no, that's not what my sister said, but she hasn't been overly concerned.

She stopped by today for 5 minutes, literally, and it was only because she was in town.

The hospice nurse told me she had a client who's son told her that ..."Call me when he dies". And, this son lives in town.

She just couldn't believe it. He was in a very expensive facility, and she said they just pushed him into a room, all alone.

The hospice agency arranged to have nurses, health aides and chaplains to come stay with him.

And this dying stuff is messy. People always say "oh, they died peacefully in their sleep". But how do we know that? Maybe that person suffered, gasping for air for minutes or hours.

No one wants to think about it. I don't want to think about.

But I am living it.

It's messy.

Life is messy. Death is messy.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Dutiful Daughter said...

YOU will have no regrets. You are honoring your mom's life by caring for her during the dying process. You are insuring that she dies with dignity. That is priceless!

October 30, 2009 at 8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home